rearing sea urchins
reiag at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 13:36:15 EST 2002
Thank you to all those who have been sending the much needed information
concerning rearing sea urchins. I've been asked by a couple of people to
pass on the information that I have gotten, so I've compiled a list of
contact information which I've received. These are listed below.
So far, I've been getting contact information. I've listed these for you
below. I'll let you know if anything more comes in.
1) Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi - U.S. Geological Survey
Toxicology Laboratory. Use sea urchin gametes and larvae which they spawn
to conduct toxicology assays. Contact Ms. Linda May,
pricemay at falcon.tamucc.edu.
2) Dunstaffnage Marine Laboratory in Scotland - Invertebrate Biology &
Mariculture Group. Rears 2 British species. Contact Dr. Maeve Kelly,
3) Southern California Coastal Water Research Project (SCCWRP). Maitain
adult urchins in tanks and experiment with gametes and embryos. Contact
Steve Bay and Darrin Greenstein, darring at SCCWRP.org ; steveb at SCCWRP.org
4) Bulletin of Marine Science 1998 issue - paper by Eckert. That's all
the information sent on this. This paper supposed to have a good protocol,
5) University of Texas at Austin. Algae collection for food source for
larvae and diatoms for juvenile urchins.
6) Center for Coastal Studies in Corpus Christi, Texas. Contact Drs.
Tunnell and/or Dokken, 1-361-825-2736.
7) Marine Resources Center at the Marine Biological Laboratory. Works with
cellular biology and cell division in sea urchin zygotes. Contact
8) University of Oregon - Oregon Institute of Marine Biology Field
Station. Contact Dr. Richard Emlet using OIMB link from U of O home page.
9) Rosenstiel School for Marine and Atmospheric Science. Has grown Diadema
from gametes through to teenagers. Contact Tom Capo, tcapo at rsmas.miami.edu
10) University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Rears urchins. Contact
Dr. Alina Szmant, szmanta at uncwil.edu, 1-910-962-2362
Thanks again to everyone!
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue
Conway, AR 72035
Tel: (501) 450-3146
Fax: (501) 450-5914
Email: reiag at hotmail.com
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the
menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.
More information about the Coral-list-old