a good anthropogenic indicator needed

Deevon Quirolo deevon at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 28 09:46:55 EST 2002

N-15 (nitrogen) can trace human sewage.  Regards, DeeVon, Reef Relief

At 03:17 PM 1/25/02 -0500, Brad Rosov wrote:

> Dear Coral Listers...
>     The reef tract along the Florida Keys, as you all know, have been
> degrading for years.  The Florida Keys Nature Conservancy has participated
> in a near-shore water quality sampling program for years throughout the
> keys.  These efforts have helped determine the amount of nutrients in the
> near-shore water, among other things.  In an attempt to determine
> immediate human-induced impact on the near-shore water quality, I am just
> beginning to investigate an appropriate method for assessing this.
> Caffeine is one such indicator, but without very much investigation, I
> understand this is a rather expensive method.  I would appreciate any
> advice on a cost effective method to monitor anthropogenic impact on water
> quality.
>        Brad Rosov
>        Marine Conservation Program Manager
>        The Florida Keys Nature Conservancy

DeeVon Quirolo, Executive Director
Reef Relief, a non profit grassroots organization dedicated to Preserve and
Protect
Living Coral Reefs through Local, Regional and International Efforts
www.reefrelief.org  P.O. Box 430, Key West, Fl. 33041 tel (305) 294-3100 fax
(305) 293-9515