Panama bleaching

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 31 12:56:47 EDT 2002

Marilyn et al.,

NOAA's Coral Reef Watch Program shows "degree heating weeks" reached
levels of barely "3" in the Atlantic off Panama this past
June...certainly
enough for some spotty bleaching but hopefully not enough accumulation
of thermal
stress for significant mortality....

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhwa.7.30.2002.gif

Our first hint of HotSpots in the Atlantic off Panama begin June 10th!:

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspotw.6.10.2002.gif

One piece of GOOD news is that much the tropical Atlantic is cooler this
summer:

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

Cheers,
Al

--
**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
             301-763-8102 x170
              FAX: 301-763-8572
  http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad

--------------377F0BD8FA8A73ED73AD2663

begin:vcard
n:Strong;Alan E.
tel;cell:443-822-3668
tel;fax:301-763-8108
tel;work:301-763-8102  x170
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad/
org:NOAA/NESDIS/ORA;Oceanic Research & Applications Division
version:2.1
email;internet:Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
title:Oceanographer/Team Leader
adr;quoted-printable:;;NOAA Science Center=0D=0A5200 Auth Road;Camp
Springs;MD;20746;USA
fn:Alan E. Strong, Ph. D.
end:vcard