Use of massive Porites

Abigail Moore abigailyacl at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 22:06:20 EDT 2002

 Dear Ron and coral-listers
I do not have the answer to your question, but would
like to say that the practice of using massive corals
for sceptic tanks is not limited to Fiji.

In Sulawesi, Indonesia it is also a common practice,
both because the material is free or very cheap
compared to alternatives (such as red brick), and
because people really do believe it is more effective
due to it's structure/porosity.

It is sad that increased awareness of sanitation
should lead to increased destruction of coral reefs.

We also would be very interested to hear of any data
on the truth of it's effectiveness and of reasonably
priced/easily available alternatives which have been
proved to be as good or better.

All the best

Abigail

Abigail Moore MSc