Would clonal coral lines help your research?

Erich Mueller emueller at mote.org
Thu Mar 7 09:20:01 EST 2002

Dear All,

We have been culturing a variety of Caribbean scleractinians and some
gorgonians for use in our physiological and reef restoration research for
some years. I have been approached on numerous occasions about providing
corals to other researchers but have not had the capacity to do so. There
are also factors relating to legal restrictions on these species.
Recently, there has been an increasing interest in using genetically-
defined (with respect to the host) coral lines. With a background in
biomedical sciences, I have long felt that the lack of such model
coral systems has been a major impediment to our understanding of basic
physiology and how environmental factors, including disease, affect
coral health.

I am preparing proposals to increase our culture capacity in order to
provide several genotypes of several coral species to the research
community. If clonal coral lines (Atlantic species only) would be of value
to your work, I would very much appreciate a brief letter of interest and
support. If you have a few extra minutes (I'm not sure that anyone does,
but..), any information about how coral lines would help your research and
suggestions for species would be appreciated. One possible funding
source is NSF so if your work has been, or is, supported by NSF, mention
of that would also help.

Please send letters to the address below and I thank you for considering
this request.

E. Mueller

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Erich Mueller, Ph.D., Director      Phone: (305) 745-2729
Mote Marine Laboratory              FAX:   (305) 745-2730
Center for Tropical Research        Email: emueller at mote.org
24244 Overseas Highway (US 1)
Summerland Key, FL   33042

Center Website-> http://www.mote.org/~emueller/CTRHome.phtml

Mote Marine Laboratory Website-> http://www.mote.org

Remarks are personal opinion and do not reflect institutional
policy unless so indicated.

digests, please visit http://www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the