MPA Benefits - In Numbers

Craig Bonn Craig.Bonn at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 7 16:32:41 EST 2002

There is an area near Cape Canaveral, Florida that has been closed to
fishing for years though is not officially  what you would call an MPA,
simply access has been denied due to proximity to the cape or something.
Anyway, along that boundary world- record  trophy fish are being caught  for
several species and I believe that has been attributed to the closure of the
area and to spillover.  I cant recall the author's name of the paper but
perhaps someone else can.  As far as historical catch records from the same
area, I dont know if they are available or not.  Im sure someone can help
you out on this.

Craig

John McManus wrote:

> There are several papers now that show increases in stock and catch when
> an MPA has been established. The effect is most clear when the reserve is
> in the midst of very heavily overfished areas -- any protection then
> usually results in dramatic benefits. One or two studies that showed
> little or no positive impacts have been from areas such as the GBR where
> fishing pressure is not nearly as high. See papers by Angel Alcala, Gary
> Russ and Robert Pomeroy (Masinloc) for starters.Cheers!
>
>  John

> John W. McManus, PhD
> Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
> Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS)
> University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
> Miami, Florida 33149.
> jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
> Tel. (305) 361-4814
> Fax (305) 361-4910
> www.ncoremiami.org

  Biological Science Technician (Fisheries)
  NOAA/NOS
  Beaufort Lab

  Biological Science Technician (Fisheries)  <Craig.Bonn at noaa.gov>
  NOAA/NOS
  Beaufort Lab
  101 Pivers Island Road                     Cellular: 252-725-4794
  Beaufort                                   Fax: 252-728-8740
  North Carolina                             Work: 252-728-8777
  28512
  Additional Information:
  Last Name     Bonn
  First Name    Craig