Options for small island groups?

Sangeeta Mangubhai smangubhai at africaonline.co.ke
Fri Mar 15 05:59:17 EST 2002

Coral-listers,

I am currently doing a paper looking at conservation/sustainable use options
for reef resources of small islands/island groups and would like some
assistance obtaining literature on 'real-life' examples from different parts
of the world.  I need to assess various options to determine their
environmental and socio-economic costs and benefits, in the short and long
term.  The areas I lack information on:

1.  Conservation Endowments
2.  Rights Purchasing (e.go. Fishing Licenses)
3.  Land Purchasing - I know of the TNC/Palmyra Atoll only - but a contact
person for this project would be welcome.

Can you please direct me to any of the following:  (1) projects (and their
contacts), (2) reports/papers, and/or (3) websites.

In addition, I would be interested in hearing from those who have done
similar assessments/options papers with regard to the assessment criteria
they use to determine which is the more feasible options.

This is a management orientated question - please let me know if there are
other emailing lists I should try and contact and send them this query.

Thank you in advance.

Sangeeta

Sangeeta Mangubhai
P.O. Box 10135