Coral starving, survival & MWP

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 25 11:56:29 EST 2002

Debbie,

You have raised some good points regarding the Medieval Warm Period (MWP).
As Mike pointed out in his response, the largest problem there is a lack of
data.  Esper et al. paper from last week's Science indicates that MWP
temperatures may have been higher than estimated in earlier temperature
reconstructions like Mann et al. 1999.  However, the Esper et al.
reconstruction does not show a dramatic and singular rise going into the
MWP, unlike the nearly linear increase it shows for 1800-date.

We need to keep in mind that these are temperate, Northern  Hemisphere,
terrestrial reconstructions.  Even the Mann et al. reconstruction used a
very small amount of marine data (mostly 1500-date) and reconstructed ocean
surface data from functions primarily based on temperate, terrestrial data.
You can compare a wide array of reconstruction data by looking at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/paleo/recons.html

All of this points to the need for data on reef temperatures during the
MWP.  The climate system does not change in ways that are spatially
consistent with temperate, Northern Hemisphere indices.  Without real
information on reef temperatures, I think comparisons with the MWP are a bit
premature, but useful thoughts for building hypotheses.

Mark

--
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Chief of NOAA Paleoclimatology Program and

NOAA/National Geophysical Data Center
325 Broadway E/GC
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
Voice: 303-497-6172                  Fax: 303-497-6513
Internet: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/paleo/paleo.html

  C. Mark Eakin <mark.eakin at noaa.gov>
  Chief and Director of World Data Center for Paleoclimatology
  NOAA / NGDC
  Paleoclimatology Program

  C. Mark Eakin
  Chief and Director of World Data Center for  <mark.eakin at noaa.gov>
  Paleoclimatology
  NOAA / NGDC
  Paleoclimatology Program
  325 Broadway, E/GCx3                         Fax: 303-497-6513
  Boulder                                      Work: 303-497-6172
  CO                                           Conference Software Address
  80305-3328                                   Specific Directory Server
  USA
  Additional Information:
  Last Name     Eakin
  First Name    C. Mark