community-based monitoring

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Mar 26 14:29:55 EST 2002

Hi Liz,

One approach to what you are doing is community-based ecological mapping.
This is a key approach in the IIRR publication. Alan White, Jim Maragos and
others published an excellent methods book on this for coral reefs about
five years ago. It can help to involve non-scuba divers in a very productive
way and would be a good compliment to Reef Check. I suggest you write to
Alan at awhite at mozcom.com.

Cheers!

 John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, Florida 33149.
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tel. (305) 361-4814
Fax (305) 361-4910