shark fin soup - must buy item

Darrin Drumm druda019 at student.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 15 03:48:15 EDT 2002

Dear List Members,

I am forwarding this message on behalf of Asia Shark Watch, for the
interest of anyone in our scientific community who feels strongly about
shark finning practices.

It has been brought to our attention that the Hong Kong Tourism Board under
its shopping mecca promotion has put Dried Seafood and the sale of SHARK FIN
in its 'Hong Kong Must Buy Items'.  The link to the site is attached below.
Just click on the vote button and run the cursor over the Dried Seafood box
to see that shark fins are included in this choice.

http://webserv1.discoverhongkong.com/eng/shop/mustbuy/vote.jhtml

The local green groups have voiced their concern in the South China
Morning Post, and now we are asking the international community such as
yourselves to spend 5 minutes in writing an email to the following people,
and condemn the HK Tourism Board and Government for running such a campaign:

Rebecca Lai, Commissioner for Tourism:  tcenq at tc.esb.gov.hk
Chief Executive Tung Chee Wah:  ceo at ceo.gov.hk
Miss Jacqueline Ann Willis, JP, Hong Kong Commissioner to the US:
hketo at hketowashington.gov.hk

Thanks,

Asia Shark Watch

Darrin Drumm