Coloured Pigments and Coral Bleaching?

Mike Matz matz at whitney.ufl.edu
Tue May 28 10:44:34 EDT 2002

Good question! I myself saw a case when the animal was bleached, but
retained red fluorescent coloration. This was not on the reef, though - this
was a specimen of corallimorph shipped over from Vietnam, on aquarium
business. The bleaching was apparently a consequence of some stress
conditions during shipping. By the way, that guy recovered nicely after
that - regained brown coloration in a week or so in aquarium. It is from
this specimen we cloned the first red-emitting GFP-like protein. The funny
thing is - if the specimen was not bleached upon arrival, we would probably
overlook the red fluorescence of the host tissue, it becomes really
inconspicious as soon as the brown color is back.

The fact that corals go completely white upon bleaching on reefs, with no
host-tissue colors remaining, might be a consequence of much worse stress
than my aquarium corallimorph suffered. But still, this completeness of
bleaching does seem weird to me. The dissapearance of host pigments might be
linked to zooxanthellae loss, but just as well, it might not. I am not aware
of any reports that would address this.

Please share your opinions.

Mike

-----