any other signs of bleaching in the Caribbean?

Pam Muller pmuller at seas.marine.usf.edu
Tue May 28 18:30:06 EDT 2002

Carolina:

I was at Cayman Brac last week; water temperature was about 28 C instead of
26, which is apparently more typical for this time of year.  I saw bleaching
similar to that Alina Szmant just reported from the Tortugas.  Pale and very
occasionally bleached Agaricia were most common; pale Montastrea spp. were
also observed.  I didn't notice any pale Porites or Acropora cervicornis,
and
didn't see any Palythoa. My dive partner commented on the way home that he
didn't see any. We did 14 dives, 5 to about 30 m; I noticed pale Agaricia on
my first dive at about 28 m.

Please note that these were casual observations; I was not collecting data.

Pamela Hallock
College of Marine Science
University of South Florida