No subject

Alexander Stone a_stone at reefkeeper.org
Tue Oct 1 08:19:21 EDT 2002

*        R E E F  D I S P A T C H        *
*             October, 2002              *
* _____________________________________  *
*     WILL YELLOWFIN GROUPERS SURVIVE    *
*       IN THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS?      *

A Periodic Inside Look at a Coral Reef Issue from
Alexander Stone, ReefGuardian International Director

Dear Friend of Reef Fish:

A yellowfin grouper spawning aggregation in the U.S. Virgin Islands is
in danger.  It is at risk of being fished to extinction -- as has
happened to many other spawning aggregations throughout the Caribbean.
I am writing to ask your help in preventing this avoidable tragedy by
signing onto ReefGuardian International's Save America's Groupers
petition at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html.

Each year, from February to May, large numbers of yellowfin grouper
migrate to a small area of the Grammanic Bank in the U.S. Virgin Islands
to reproduce. This is a critical event, as it is the only time that
these grouper spawn.  Unfortunately for the groupers and us, having such
large numbers of fish packed together in such a small area makes them an
easy target that lures fishers from far and wide.  If spawning yellowfin
groupers continue to be killed this way while they're trying to
reproduce, the future of the species in the U.S. Virgin Islands may be
jeopardized.

Once a spawning aggregation is fished out, it most likely will not
recover. It is gone forever.  That is why we have to make sure that this
does NOT happen to the Grammanic Bank yellowfin grouper aggregation.
Without protection, mounting fishing pressure could endanger the fate of
the yellowfin grouper in the Virgin Islands.  But you can help save this
yellowfin grouper spawning aggregation by simply signing on to
ReefGuardian International's Save America's Groupers petition at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html.

ReefGuardian International has formally requested that the U.S.
Caribbean Fishery Management Council close this spawning aggregation to
fishing during the yellowfin grouper's entire February-through-May
spawning season.  This will allow yellowfin groupers to spawn and
prevent the untimely loss of sexually mature fish.

Our request for full spawning season protection of the Grammanic Bank
yellowfin grouper aggregation will be considered by the Council in
December.  ReefGuardian Conservation Associates are working hard to
convince voting Council members to implement this full protection.  But
this is not enough.  The decision-makers also need to hear from you.

If you believe, as we do, that there can be NO EXCUSE for destroying any
grouper spawning aggregation, let these federal regulators know by
signing on to ReefGuardian International's Save Our Groupers petition at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html.

We'll submit your petition to the U.S. Caribbean Fishery Management
Council and keep the pressure on to win full spawning season protection
for the Grammanic Bank yellowfin grouper aggregation.  But please sign
on to the petition now -- while Grammanic Bank's groupers still have a
fighting chance.

Thanks for caring,

Alexander Stone
Executive Director