Virus stuff, again

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 4 05:19:52 EDT 2002

Ladies & Gents,

    Apparently, a virus has spread through some users of coral-list.
However, let me assure you that coral-list was not the mechanism for
spreading this virus.  It appears that some coral-list subscribers had
the virus and their email address book was used as the lookup table for
the virus for the spreading of the virus to their personal
correspondents.  Unfortunately, you/we as contributors to coral-list may
be in some of the address books where the virus has landed.

    Having said that, I still can't guarantee that at some time in the
future coral-list won't be a vector for a virus.  Please keep your
computers up-to-date with the latest, appropriate virus detection
sofware.  This protects you as well as the rest of us.

    Finally, let me say that behind the scenes, I intercept junk-mail
and viruses sent to coral-list nearly every day, so at least we've got
some level of protection.  One thing that helps me is in keeping
messages down to 30K in size (by configuration of the listsever, not
through moderation of the list), because most viruses are larger than
this.  SO, please remember not to attach large documents or pictures in
your postings to coral-list; I'll just have to through them back at
you..  Better to post a URL to those items in a message to the list.

    Y'all have a good time now, y'hear?

    Cheers,
    Jim
    coral-list administrator