Caribbean bleaching 1982/83 vs. 1987

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 27 08:26:39 EDT 2002

John,

A major mitigating factor in any event during 1982/83 throughout the
tropics was the massive aerosol veil from the Mexican volcanic eruption
of El Chichon (16n)....keeping the insolation down especially between
the latitudes of 10n and 25n.....sounds like the Caribbean...

Cheers,
Al Strong

John McWilliams wrote:

> Dear coral list
> Can anyone tell me (or suggest a reference) why the first major coral
> bleaching event in the Caribbean was in 1987, whereas the 1982/83 ENSO
> was stronger? Several references state that the 1982/83 episode as
> being the second strongest in the 20th century, after 1997/98.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John McWilliams
> School of Biological Sciences
> University of East Anglia
> Norwich
> UK

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
  Alan E. Strong
   Team Leader, Marine Applications Science Team (MAST)
          Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
    NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3
    NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W
    5200 Auth Road