tourism impact on coral reefs

Olson olson at cancun.com.mx
Fri Feb 21 13:40:11 EST 2003

Hello, my name is Gabriela Peon and I would like to know if titanium
dioxide, a very common ingredient in sunscreen lotions harms coral reefs,
and if it does, would somebody know which sunscreen brand or active
ingredient is truly harmless to coral reefs.  I live in Cancun, Mexico and
we have thousands of tourists snorkeling and diving on coral reefs every
single day of the year.

Any other valuable information you may have on sunscreen lotions effects on
coral reefs or marine life will be very very much appreciated.

Gabriela Peon
Cancun, Mexico

olson at cancun.com.mx