Reproduction of Porites lutea

James Rolfe Guest scip9051 at nus.edu.sg
Tue Jan 28 10:33:53 EST 2003

Dear coral-list,

I am working on the reproductive cycle of the scleractinian coral
Porites lutea in Singapore. Most of the colonies I have sampled are
mature in April and/or May and I think that spawning occurs in those
months after the full moon (although I haven't witnessed spawning of
this species yet). I would be interested to make comparisons of the
timing of spawning of this species in Singapore with other coral reef
locations. Does anyone know of any publications (other than those listed
below) or has any anecdotal evidence of spawning in P. lutea in any
other location?

The publications which include reproduction of P. lutea that I have so
far are:

Harriott VJ (1983) Reproductive Ecology of Four Scleractinian Species at
Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs 2:9-18

Kojis BL & Quinn NJ (1981) Reproductive Strategies in Four Species of
Porites (Scleractinia). Proc 4th Int Coral Reef Symp 2:145-151

Marshall SM & Stephenson TA (1933) The Breeding of Reef Animals I. The
Corals. The Great Barrier Reef Expedition 1928-29. Sci Rep 3:219-245

Babcock RC et al (1986) Synchronous Spawning of 105 Scleractinian Coral
Species on the GBR. Mar Biol. 90:379-384

Heyward AJ (1989) Reproductive Status of Some Guam Corals. Micronesica
21:272

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

James Guest