Pressure classification methodology?

Jon Brodie jon.brodie at jcu.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 18:10:04 EST 2003

sarah hamylton wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if someone could advise me on some work I am doing for my
> dissertation. I am seeking a classification scheme for categorising
> reefs on the basis of the pressure they are under. Thus far, I have only
> been able to find a report that uses distance from the nearest populated
> area- this is included in my data set but doesn't give any indication of
> the type of pressure. I am not really interested in quantifying the
> impact intensity, just classifying reefs based on the presence of each
> pressure. The data set I have is similar to a Reefcheck one- it assesses
> a number of pressures on a semi-quantitative scale- rating presence from
> none to heavy. I’m tempted to make up my own classification scheme,
> assigning weights to the different influences and then attempting to
> justify the weightings I have used. Justification would be based on
> impact magnitude in terms of frequency/ damage potential. Maybe also
> incorporating papers written on influences that are known to be
> particularly problematic in the study area. I can’t help thinking that
> this will become a little subjective though, I am tempted to weight the
> presence of sewage pollution heavier than tourist diving as the latter
> is present at all my study sites whereas the former only has a presence
> at three out of twenty two study sites. Does anyone know of any set
> methodologies for categorising individual reefs on the basis
> anthropogenic pressures present?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah Hamylton.

Hi Sarah

Have you seen the Price et al 1998 paper on just such a methodology for
the Red Sea coast of Saudi Arabia - in Environmental Conservation 25(1):
65-76. The Reefs at Risk approach is also worth a look - see Bryant et
al, 1998 'Reefs at Risk' published by WRI, ICLARM WCMC and UNEP.

regards

Jon Brodie
Principal Research Scientist
Australian Centre for Tropical Freshwater Research
James Cook University
Townsville, Australia

digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .