[Coral-List] fragmentation

Dr. Peter van Treeck van_treeck at uni-essen.de
Wed Aug 6 09:36:29 EDT 2003

Dear Yuri & listers,
we have quite some experience with fragmentation and transplantation.
Most of your requests depend on what you want to achieve.
Minimal size depends on species, method of transplantation (e.g. cement,
epoxy, ERCON or other methods of fixation)  and not least the location
where the fragments /transplants are kept afterwards (field , lab ,
husbandry etc. )
The suitability of species for the various techniques differ significantly.
What I consider as an essential feature of a coral species suitable for
transplantation is the ability  to form a new foothold such as starting
to overgrow the new substrate.
Many branching Acropora species do, but some do not (with our method).
Hydrocoral Millepora is perfect in this.
For a recolonization purpose this is one of the key issues rather than
maximum growth.
Please have a look at out web site and check out our references below.
Cheers,
 Peter

Schuhmacher, H., P. van Treeck, M. Eisinger & M. Paster (2000):
Transplantation of coral fragments from ship groundings on
electrochemically formed reef structures. Proc. 9th Int Coral reef Symp
Bali , Vol 2: 983 - 990

van Treeck P. & H. Schuhmacher (1997): Initial survival of coral nubbins
transplanted by a new coral transplantation technology. Mar. Ecol. Prog.
Ser. 150: 287-292.

Schuhmacher, H. (2002): Use of artificial reefs with special reference
to the rehabilitation of coral reefs. Bonner zool. Monogr. 50: 81-108.