[Coral-List] Mapping procedure

Marianne Gilbert marianne2 at ekno.com
Thu Aug 7 17:10:18 EDT 2003

Hi fellow listers,

I am looking for anyone who has a good procedure for mapping shallow
coral reefs using GPS and single-beam sonar.  We are trying to
roughly map depth profiles of reefs around Samoa.  We have an Eagle
Seacharter that can record both depth profiles and GPS coordinates.
We are planning to enter the data into MapInfo.

It would be a lot easier/cheaper for us if we can do this using
Polynesian canoes instead of a motor boat.  I tried mounting the
probe on a canoe and it works but wind and currents can be a problem
when trying to travel in straight lines...  Any advice from people
who did similar things would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Marianne

Marianne Gilbert
 ><>