[Coral-List] Environmental impacts of seaweed farming on coral reefs etc.

sulu_r at usp.ac.fj sulu_r at usp.ac.fj
Sun Aug 10 18:03:36 EDT 2003

Dear Coral listers,

The over harvesting of seaweed from the wild for phycocolloids in
1960 resulted in the promotion of cultivation of some seaweed
species.  Eucheuma and Kappaphycus were two particularl species
introduced to a lot of pacific islands and other parts of the world.

I'm seeking if any of you know or has studied the environmental
effects of the introduced seaweed species for farming.  I know that
these two species have been reported to over grow and kill endemic
corals in Hawaii.  Does any one know of similar cases or other
impacts where you hitch hikers on the seaweed which have been
introduced with the seaweed resulting in unfavourable
environmental impacts.

When introductions were made were any quarantine protocols
followed.  I have searched the literature and there is no mention of
quarantine when these critters were introduced

May fish be with you
Reuben John Sulu
Institute of Marine Resources
The University of the South Pacific