[Coral-List] Piney Point satellite report #2

Brian Keller Brian.Keller at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 14 17:14:21 EDT 2003

Thank you very much for preparing and distributing these reports. I would
like to provide a clarification about the impact of the 2002 blackwater
event on Keys coral reefs. The documented declines of live coral occurred
at only two of the 43 sites monitored by the Coral Reef Monitoring Project.
The spatial extent of apparent blackwater impacts on reef communities was
limited, probably mainly because there are few reefs in areas of the
Sanctuary impacted by the blackwater event. At one of those sites (Content
Keys off the north end of Big Pine Key), the decline was from very low
pre-existing live-coral cover to even less live coral, i.e., the reef was
nearly devoid of live coral before the purported impact of blackwater
(monitoring is conducted annually, and there may have been impacts on live
coral over that period in addition to blackwater).

Chuanmin Hu wrote:

> Dear all: our report #2 is ready at
> http://imars.marine.usf.edu/Piney_Point/reports/
> Also, (if you are not aware yet,) we have generated MODIS images in near
> real-time (within 2 hours of satellite overpass) for many areas. Just
> come to http://modis.marine.usf.edu and choose one area (say, West
> Florida Shelf) and click on qc.html - you'll love it! The 250-m RGB
> images are available for some estuaries, for example "Florida Bay" and
> "Tampa Bay"
> Cheers,
>
> Chuanmin Hu

Brian D. Keller
Science Coordinator
Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary
P.O. Box 500368
[Street address: 5550 Overseas Hwy., Main House]
Marathon, FL 33050

305-743-2437 x25   fax 2357
brian.keller at noaa.gov
http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/