[Coral-List] tissue separation

Selina Ward S.Ward at marine.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 25 20:18:30 EDT 2003

Dear Muthu
I decalcify using hydrochloric acid and formalin.  I use acid that is made
for use in swimming pools as this is inexpensive. In 1 litre I would use
900ml water, 80ml acid, 20ml formalin.  This is gentle enough to keep
reproductive structures intact and, for small finger sized pieces, takes
about a week with one change of acid. This of course varies according to the
species.
Regards
Selina Ward

Dr Selina Ward