[Coral-List] Mass Fish Deaths in Nauru & Kiribati

Mike Ross mikeross at mozcom.com
Mon Dec 8 09:59:03 EST 2003

Hi Reuban,

Interesting experience that I may have shared, say in April or so of 1985
on the island of Mamamoc, Cuyo Islands, Sulu Sea, Philippines.....after
say a month period of dead calms and typically high temps for that time of
the year, the shoreline and lagoon was littered by countless dead reef
fish, including moray eels....literally kilometers of shoreline lined with
dead reef fish.....

The reef fish, etc. dying off seemed to last for weeks, until some winds
arrived.....or no more fish, etc were left to die off....offshore, the
commercial sardine / pelagic fishing boats in the area usuaully during
that calm period of the year were continuously active and fishing close to
shore, suggesting that those fish stocks were less than affected.....

I suspected at that time low oxygen level (due to very calm sea
conditions) combined with usual seasonal higher sea temps (no coral
bleeching in the area at that time).....

Interesting enough, I don't recall the local islanders being unusually
surprised or talkative about the occurance.....they didn't even really
bother to collect or utilize the dead fish, etc for any purpose so I
suspected that it was fairly common during such unusually calm and hot
periods....just a guess from a while back....be interesting to learn more,
particularly from the locals?

Cheers,

Mike Ross
Coastal Dynamics Foundation / Reef Check Cebu, Philippines
www.cebudive.com