[Coral-List] ICRS Symposium: Remote Sensing

Hiroya Yamano hyamano at nies.go.jp
Thu Dec 11 20:48:53 EST 2003

Dear coral-listers

Eric Hochberg, James Goodman, Serge Andrefouet and I are co-organizing a
mini-symposium "Remote Sensing of Coral Reefs" (5-1) at the 10th
International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, June 2004. On behalf of my
co-conveners, I would like to introduce the mini-symposium.

Remote sensing is one of the fastest growing fields of coral reef research
and its utility continues to expand. This mini-symposium welcomes
remote-sensing related topics, including, but not limited to, instrument
development, theory, and application. Please refer below to a more detailed
description of the aims and scope of this session. Both oral and poster
presentations are welcome. Note that the deadline for submitting an
abstract is 25 December.

There will also be another special summary session addressing remote
sensing for science and management. We encourage you to attend the special
session in addition to our mini-symposium.

We look forward to seeing you in Okinawa.

Sincerely

Hiroya

>   ----
Aims and Scope

This mini-symposium is intended to illustrate the evolving capability of
remote sensing as an effective tool for assessing the spatial and temporal
dynamics of coral reefs. This speaks directly to the main organizing theme
of the conference with regard to methods for evaluating the stability and
degradation of coral ecosystems. Clearly, an essential element of any
effort to preserve, protect and manage coral reefs is a reliable means for
quantitatively mapping and assessing the dynamics of community
distribution. It is also important to investigate environmental
stressor-response relationships and to have the capability to efficiently
monitor the current and future health of these ecosystems. The
effectiveness of being able to address such issues using remote sensing
continues to improve through advances in detector technologies, the
acquisition of coral-specific spectral information, increases in the
spatial and spectral resolution of sensors, as well as by improved
computer capabilities and analysis methods. Accordingly, topics to be
addressed will include: applications and implications of global SST
monitoring; recent advances in hyperspectral analysis, including results
from the first satellite based hyperspectral observations; acquisition of
field spectra and the development of spectral libraries; expanded
capabilities of multi-spectral analysis investigations; continuing
effectiveness of aerial photography; and examples of successful
applications and ecosystem assessments.
--

  >>(#(">                 --- Hiroya Yamano, Dr. ---
      <")=)<<   Social and Environmental Systems Division
  Y               National Institute for Environmental Studies
_Y_Y__Y_  16-2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8506, Japan
http://www.nies.go.jp/social/kojin/yamano/yamano_e.html