[Coral-List] Diagnostic Monitoring & Assessment Mini-Symposium (4-2)

Stephen C Jameson sjameson at coralseas.com
Fri Dec 19 07:44:35 EST 2003

Dear Friends,

Below is a sneak preview of the abstract for the lead-off talk for
Mini-Symposium 4-2:  "Diagnostic Monitoring & Assessment of Coral
Reefs: Studies from Around the World".

Anyone involved in coral reef monitoring and assessment will find
the subject of diagnostic cellular assays fascinating and a
"must hear" at the 10th International Coral Reef Symposium in Okinawa!

"Response specific metrics for a coral reef index of biotic
integrity: new diagnostic cellular assays and future research
directions"

Jameson SC, Downs CA, Potts KW

ABSTRACT

In our continuing effort to create a new paradigm for coral reef
monitoring and assessment (i.e., one with early warning and
diagnostic capabilities) we provide new information on response
specific cellular assays for a coral reef index of biotic integrity
(IBI).  These assays not only have the power to determine
specifically WHAT is causing the change in coral reef systems but
can also provide vital insight into HOW the stressor is operating
within the metabolism of the target organism.  Cellular assays fit
within the Individual Condition category of the framework for
a coral reef IBI and can potentially have relevance to all the
attributes within this category. While potentially very powerful,
cellular assays should not be used as the only metric(s) in
biological monitoring and assessment.  We discuss the suggested
number of metrics, from each metric type, that should be included
in a well-constructed IBI to reflect the multiple dimensions
of biological systems.  Not using this multi-dimensional
strategy can result in flawed assessments and poor management
decisions.  Finally, we show what cellular assays work now
for coral reefs, discuss research pitfalls to avoid and
outline promising areas for future cellular assay research
for diagnostic coral reef monitoring and assessment.

FINAL CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: REMINDER

Abstracts due: 25 December 2003 at http://www.plando.co.jp/icrs2004/
(click on 'Call for Papers' and go to 'Abstract Submission').
Also, please send a copy of your abstract to sjameson at coralseas.com

Title: "Diagnostic Monitoring & Assessment of Coral Reefs: Studies from
Around the World"

Aim: The aim of this mini-symposium is to report and continue progress on
developing a new paradigm for coral reef monitoring and assessment - that
is, one with an early warning and diagnostic capability (see Research
Strategy; Jameson et al. 2001, Bull Mar Sci, 69(2):701-744;
www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/coral).

Scope:  The scope of the mini-symposium will focus on the development of
coral reef indexes of biotic integrity and biocriteria, dose-response
metrics, studies on bioindicators, and other diagnostic monitoring tools
(i.e., cellular, genetic and nitrogen/carbon isotope techniques).
The mini-symposium will also focus on classifying coral reefs for
diagnostic monitoring and assessment and establishing reference
conditions.

All papers presented in this mini-symposium will be placed on the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency coral reef web site
(www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/coral) to build the Diagnostic Monitoring and
Assessment Data Base and provide information to others working in this
field.

Information:  Please contact me if you need any more information
(sjameson at coralseas.com).

Best regards,

Dr. Stephen C. Jameson, President
Coral Seas Inc. - Integrated Coastal Zone Management
4254 Hungry Run Road, The Plains, VA  20198-1715  USA
Office:  703-754-8690, Fax:  703-754-9139
Email:  sjameson at coralseas.com
Web Site:  www.coralseas.com