[Coral-List] 2-11 Coral Reefs and Global Change 5: Reef and Societal Implications of Bleaching.

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg oveh at uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 22 16:52:31 EST 2003

Dear coral-list,

The dead-line date for submission to 10ICRS is approaching (25 December
2003).

Please consider submitting your abstract to our mini-symposium:

2-11 Coral Reefs and Global Change 5: Reef and Societal Implications of
Bleaching (Al Strong, William Skirving, and Ove Hoegh-Guldberg)

While we are gathering much knowledge about the physical and chemical
changes that are occurring in the world's oceans and the resulting changes
to the physiology of organisms such as reef-building corals, we know less
about how reefs will change as we continue to warm the earth.  These
questions, however, are critical if we are to understand how changes to the
biology of coral reefs translate as reduced opportunities, income and
livelihoods for the many millions of people that depend on them.  A central
focus of this session will be the accuracy and credibility of projections of
reef health over the next 50 years.  Questions will be asked as to how coral
reefs might change as coral cover is reduced, how these changes will affect
reduced reef biodiversity and productivity, and how changes to these
elements will affect human use.

Visit http://www.plando.co.jp/icrs2004/.  Click on 'Call for Papers', go to

'Abstract Submission', and assign your abstract to 2-11.

Best wishes,

Al, Will and Ove.

Ove Hoegh-Guldberg
Professor and Director
Centre for Marine Studies
University of Queensland
St Lucia 4072 QLD

Phone: +61 7 3365-1156 (Veronica Westacott, PA)
Fax: +61 7 3365-4755
Email: oveh at uq.edu.au
Website: www.marine.uq.edu.au