[Coral-List] Bay Islands, Honduras

James Rolfe Guest scip9051 at nus.edu.sg
Thu Jul 10 00:36:19 EDT 2003

Dear Melanie and list,

I don't know of any work that has been done on Guanaja, but I was involved with a series of expeditions to the island of Utila that was run by undergraduate students from the UK and the National University in Honduras during the summers of 1995 to 1998 (just prior to Hurricane Mitch) called Project Utila. The aim of the expeditions were to do reef surveys, training in underwater survey methods and community work such as ecology lessons in the local schools. We carried out LIT and LPT surveys of hard coral on four reefs around the island at a range of depths. We also did surveys of fish and gorgonian abundance and diversity and in 1997 we did reefcheck surveys. In 1997 we produced underwater habitat maps of Turtle Harbour and Raggedy Cay (the two marine reserves). I have all of the data from the four expeditions as well as a report written up after the 1996 expedition.

I am currently in Singapore finishing off my PhD, but please drop me a line directly (scip9051 at nus.edu.sg) if you would like to know more about the expeditions and specifics about the data we collected.

Best wishes,

James Guest

PhD Student
Marine Biology Laboratory