[Coral-List] demise of coral reef natural products

goldberg at fiu.edu goldberg at fiu.edu
Thu Jul 31 21:44:43 EDT 2003

With all the attention being given to the Science article on the
Caribbean coral reef decline (e.g., 80% decline in cover in 30
years is widespread, unexpected, scientists say By David Kohn
Sun Staff July 18, 2003) we should be careful of  facts given to the
public concerning the benefits of coral reefs. One of the authors
appears to be quoted that AZT is derived from a Caribbean
sponge. I've seen this misinformation before. Nucleoside analogs
in sponges eventually led to the design of AZT. Sponges do not
make AZT to the best of my knowledge.  There are  of course many
natural  products derived from reef organisms. For better examples
one can cite Prialt (analgesic from cone snail venom),
Discodermalide (anti-cancer agent from sponges) and
Pseudopterosin (an anti-inflammatory agent from a gorgonian),
among others.