[Coral-List] re: Conch Tagging

Glazer, Bob Bob.Glazer at fwc.state.fl.us
Tue Nov 18 09:52:59 EST 2003

Maarten

We have been tagging conch for years using monel seizing wire (the kind you can get in a marine store for seizing shackles) that is tightened around the spires of the shell.  We slip a uniquely numbered tag through the wire.  The tags can be purchases at National Band and Tag and are 893 Jiffy Size 3 (www.nationalband.com). There is a hole in one end and a tab on the other.  You will need to loop the wire and crimp the tab through the loop to secure the tag to the wire.  The probability of tag loss after 6 months is 0.0006 or 0.06%. They are rustproof.

Regarding drilling holes, we actually have used an auger to start a hole and used the same monel tag to insert through the hole.  The tag is then crimped as if it were on the ear of a rabbit (which, in fact, is what the tags were designed to do.)  Again, tag loss is very low.  The disadvantages to this methiod are that it is more time consuming and you will wind up chipping shells. When this happens, the conch must expend more energy in shell repair.  Also, it is not effective for older adult conch where the shell is thick.

I recommend the first method which does not affect growth; we had among the fastest growth reported for conch in the region after they were tagged using this method.  I have attached a picture of a conch being tagged with a similar tag (this one has an aluminum tag for tracking with underwater metal detectors.)

Good luck

Bob Glazer

Robert Glazer
Associate Research Scientist
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Florida Marine Research Institute
2796 Overseas Highway, Ste. 119
Marathon, FL 33050
305-289-2330
305-289-2334 (fax)
bob.glazer at fwc.state.fl.us
 <<Glazer, Bob.vcf>>  <<aluminum tag on conch.TIF>>

-----Original Message-----From: bmp [mailto:marinepark at bmp.org]