[Coral-List] Is the Caulerpa Taxifolia in the Rio Grande?

Paula Morgan thompaula_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 11:02:30 EDT 2003

Dear Coral List:

One of the students in the River Ranger Project, Ms. Tiana Baca, a high school sophomore, has been studying the reputed "killer algae" Caulerpa Taxifolia, in a chemistry class.

Our question is this: Can Caulerpa Taxifolia live in rivers and be transported all the way to the Ocean? For instance, we want to know if this algae lives in our river and pollutes the Ocean at Boca Chica where the Rio Grande sometimes enters the Gulf of Mexico.

Is there a protocol or way we can test a sample of our river water for this algae? What are the specifics, please.

Thank you, Coral List!

Paula Morgan, Director

THE PLANET OCEAN RANGER PROJECT

The River Rangers in New Mexico ><>  <><The Reef Rangers in the Virgin Islands