[Coral-List] Bleaching in Bermuda

Clay Cook ccook at HBOI.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:16:20 EDT 2003

 Greetings all,

Last week  Gang Liu and  Al Strong posted a note about about elevated SST's
near Bermuda and inquired about any bleaching information.  Here is
correspondence we have had regarding same:

From: Clay Cook   Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 9:04 AM
Dear Alan and Gang,
Many thanks for the heads-up. I had a class field trip to the outer reefs in
Bermuda on August 4th; there was extensive bleaching of Millepora alcicornis
on the outer reefs, and some of Diploria labyrithiformis then. I think that
the Bermuda Benthic Ecology Research group has more extensive observations.

Curiously there seemed to be little bleaching of fire corals on the patch
reefs. This is similar to what we had observed during the 1988 Bermuda event
(Cook et al. 1990: Coral Reefs 9:45-49).

Best regards,

Clay

From: Samantha de Putron  Sent: 8/27/2003 9:36 AM

Dear Alan, Gang and Clay,
The Benthic Ecology Lab at the Bermuda Biological Station is indeed
undergoing bleaching and disease surveys of all reef zones in Bermuda over
the next couple of weeks to substantiate the recent and current observations
of bleaching in Bermuda. We will provide a report once concluded.

Thank you for the satellite information.

Regards,

Samantha

Dr Samantha de Putron
Bermuda Biological Station for Research