[Coral-List] teachers guide

David Hopley dhopley at austarnet.com.au
Wed Sep 10 18:57:15 EDT 2003

Greetings all,

I've been interested to see the discussion re education materials on coral
reefs.  During the 1990s I directed a project for UNESCO to produce marine
science education materials for Pacific Island Schools.  the materials were
produced by a collaboration between Marine Scientists and Education
curriculum personnel at James Cook University with an advisory committee
from the involved nations which included the Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati,
Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Vanuatu and Western Samoa.  The
books were directed at the upper senior school level, i.e. 15-16 years.  Six
books make up the series, each about 100pp.  including Pacific Island
Origins and Ecology; Tropical Shorelines Biology and Ecology; Mangroves;
Corals and Coral Reefs; Oceanography and Plankton; and Caring for the Sea,
Fisheries and Environment.

3 Teacher's manuals with additional notes, particularly on project material
were also produced, each one dealing with two of the series.

Although directed specifically at the Pacific Islands, at various times a
number of parts of the rest of the world showed interest including, SE Asia
and the Caribbean Islands.

Since my retirement from James Cook University, the person to contact is Dr.
Stephen Ritchie from the School of Education at JCU.  Email:
stephen.ritchie at jcu.edu.au

Cheers,

David

Dr. David Hopley