[Coral-List] Mild bleaching in NE Yucatan reefs

Rosa Rodríguez rosaer at mar.icmyl.unam.mx
Tue Sep 30 16:05:51 EDT 2003

Dear Dr. Liu and coral-listers,

Mild bleaching has been observed in several shallow (<4m) reefs sites
between Puerto Morelos and Cancun (NE Yucatán, México).  Our first
observation for this year was made on september 11th.  Sporadic colonies of
several species have been observed with  white (Millepora alcicornis,
Briareum asbestinum) and pale colorations (Montastraea annularis, M.
faveolata, A. palmata, A. tennuifolia, D. strigosa,  S. siderea, Porites
furcata, Eunicea sp, Palythoa caribbea.).  Our observations are in
accordance with one of the operational coral bleaching hotspots.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

MC Rosa Elisa Rodríguez Martínez
Lab. Sistemas Arrecifales
Instituto de Ciencias del Mar y Limnología
UNAM

Ap. Postal 1152
77500 Cancún, Q. Roo
México