[Coral-List] Deconstructing Nemo

Joshua A. Drew jdrew at bu.edu
Sat Apr 17 14:15:43 EDT 2004

Hi,

As an assignment in an Aquatic Diversity class last year I had students
deconstruct Finding Nemo.  I had them look at how this movie, portrayed issues
of power and gender identity.  I had them look at what this movie portrayed as
pressing issues in marine conservation, and what issues they did not present.
Obviously the writers were constrained by the requirement to make a movie which
was digestible by a variety of audiences, but that’s the point.  By presenting
aquarium collection as a pressing issue, while ignoring issues of habitat
destruction or global climate change, the makers of this movie are influencing
how these problems are constructed.

The student’s responses were great.  For the most part they had not thought
about how these films portray a particular view of gender and power inequities,
and also how societal views of coral reef degradation do not necessarily mesh
with what the current scientific thinking is.  As one student put it “I never
really thought about these issues but now that I did, I’m really pissed off”

This is not to say that threats originating from the collection for the live
reef fish trade are not real or important, but it is important to realize that
Finding Nemo is going to be the first lesson in marine conservation for many
children (and in some cases their only) so the message that it portrays is
going to have a large impact.

I was hoping to show my students how to deal critically with these issues and
to think about conservation is portrayed to society at large.  If anyone would
like a copy of this quiz I’d be happy to share.

Thanks,
-Josh

Joshua A. Drew
Boston University Marine Program