[Coral-List] Causes of coral bleaching

Vanese Flood vanesef at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 11:19:29 EDT 2004

Hi Phanor and other listers,
Ann Douglas did a very fine review of bleaching causes
in a paper just last year.
Coral bleacing - how and why? A.E.Douglas. Marine
Pollution Bulletin 46(2003) 385-392.  Let me know if
you need the PDF, I may be able to send it to you.
Vanese
_____________________
Vanese Flood
Department of Geology
University of Georgia

--- Phanor Montoya <phmontoya at hotmail.com> wrote:

>    I was wondering if, besides water temperature, is
> there another reason
>    for coral bleaching?
>
>    I  have  seen  some  bleaching  in an upwelling
> zone, with really cold
>    waters.  So,  I  am  kind  of  curios..could
> anyone give me a hand to
>    understand?
>

>    Phanor Montoya
>
>    Marine Biologist
>    Phanor Montoya Maya
>
>    Biologo Marino - Instructor de Buceo
>
>    Celular 3155608765
>
>    [1]phmontoya at hotmail.com
>

>    >From:
> coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
>    >Subject:  Coral-List Digest, Vol 10, Issue 11
> >Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004
>    16:00:14  +0000 (UTC) > >Send Coral-List mailing
> list submissions to >
>    coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov  > >To subscribe
> or unsubscribe via the
>    World Wide Web, visit >

> >or, via email,
>    send    a    message    with    subject    or
> body   'help'   to   >
>    coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov  >  >You
> can  reach the person
>    managing  the  list  at >
> coral-list-owner at coral.aoml.noaa.gov > >When
>    replying,  please  edit your Subject line so it
> is more specific >than
>    "Re:  Contents  of  Coral-List  digest..." > >
> >Today's Topics: > > 1.
>    bleaching (shashank Keshavmurthy) > >

>    -  >  >Message:  1 >Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004
> 00:11:50 -0700 (PDT) >From:
>    shashank  Keshavmurthy  <iamshanky15 at yahoo.com>
> >Subject: [Coral-List]
>    bleaching     >To:
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov     >Message-ID:
>
> <20040414071150.98657.qmail at web14916.mail.yahoo.com>
> Listers!!!! >I work in a
>    small  coral  reef,  predominantly  >consistng
> of Acropora hyacinthus
>    species. >Ofcourse it also consists of Stylopora
> pistillata >if not to
>    the  same extent. I am talking of >Shikoku
> Island, Kochi Prefecture in
>    Japan.  There  >is  also  Acropora formosa
> colonies (if have not >made
>    mistake  in identifying!!!). I have noticed >that
> the Acropora formosa
>    colonies  are  beginning >to bleach, thats what I
> think so, as most of
>    the  >healthy Acropora formosa picture I saw in
> "Corals >of the World"
>    book  looks  white  due  to  the >tip......but in
> this case I strongly
>    believe  that  >they are infact bleaching. I want
> to make sure >before
>    posting  the  bleaching  report  to  the coral
> >list. >So, if there is
>    anyone  who  is interested to take >a look at the
> pictures and confirm
>    if  there  is  >bleaching  episode,  it  will
> help  a  lot. >One more
>    interesting   thing   is   that   only   this
> >species  seems  to  be
>    bleaching....all  others  seems  >to  be in good
> [...]

=====
Time flys like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.