[Coral-List] Senior Research Scientist @ Palau International Coral Reef Center
Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 20 08:44:17 EDT 2004
[The following is being forwarded; please respond to the appropriate
person (not me). Thank you.]
From: "Carol Emaurois" <cemaruois at picrc.org>
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Senior Research Scientist @ Palau International Coral Reef Center
Opening Date: April 20. Closing Date: 4:00 P.M. Friday, May 21, 2004
Position: Senior Research Scientist, Palau International Coral Reef
Center. Salary and benefits to be negotiated.
The Palau International Coral Reef Center (PICRC) is accepting
applications for the position of Senior Research Scientist. The Center
is a new organization located in Koror, Republic of Palau in the Western
Caroline Islands and is tasked with research, monitoring, and education
on the coral reef environment of Palau. Duties may include but are not
limited to the following:
· The Center is looking for a highly- motivated individual to develop a
vigorous research program relevant to the ecology and conservation of
coral reefs and related coastal ecosystems of Palau.
· A strong publication record, an international reputation in an
appropriate field and a demonstrated ability to obtain funding from
private and public sources are required.
· Other responsibilities will include grant writing, scientific
publication, and development of research programs that will assist in
defining national coastal management objectives;
· The willingness to mentor and train Palauan researchers is essential.
· Other duties as assigned by the board;
The initial appointment will be for two years with provision for
continuation for multiple years. Applicants are required to have a Ph.D.
in marine science or related field and should have a minimum of at least
10 years post-graduate experience in coral reef ecology, reef fish
ecology or a relevant discipline. Other preferable qualifications
include the following:
· A strong background on research projects implementation;
· A strong background on management and administration of projects and
· Demonstrated ability to communicate and to collaborate with
constituents locally, regionally and internationally;
· Demonstrated compatibility to live and work within Palau, Micronesia
and Pacific region as well.
APPLICATION DEADLINE PROCESS:
Interested individuals should submit a letter expressing their interests
along with the following by May 21, 2004.
* Statement of relevant qualifications, with particular attention to the
applicant’s knowledge of Palau, Micronesia including international
* Current Curriculum Vitae, and
* List of three references including address, telephone numbers, fax,
and email address.
All letters and other pertinent information should be submitted to:
Ms. Lolita Gibbons
Secretary, Board of Directors
Palau International Coral Reef Center
P.O. Box 7086
Koror, Palau 96940.
Submittal must be postmarked no later than the above closing date.
Documents received via fax or email will not be accepted.
For further detail on this employment opportunity, contact Ms. Lolita
Gibbons at 680-488-4716/3993 day or 680-488-3800 evening; fax:
680-488-3990; email: lgibbons at palau-pcs.org.
To learn more about the Palau International Coral Reef Center, call
680-488-6950 or visit the Center’s facilities located at M-Dock in Koror
State or its web site: www.PICRC.org
More information about the Coral-List