[Coral-List] coral eggs...

Nancy Daschbach Nancy.Daschbach at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 20 20:08:46 EDT 2004

Talofa Shashank:  Your Samoan friend was not referring to coral eggs, but to
palolo, the epitokes of a marine polycheate worm. These critters expel their
motile epitokes during lunar phases (one week after the full moon, although
it can span a few days; actual timing of the mass spawning varies across the
Samoan archipelago, starting at dusk in the eastern end, and dawn on the
eastern end. On my island, Tutuila, they spawn in the middle of the night) in
October and November, and they are collected by avid waders with homemade
palolo nets. It's a local delicacy! The outer casings of the epitokes
dissolve in a couple of hours and the eggs and sperm do their thing.

Nancy Daschbach