[Coral-List] Open Access to the ICRS proceedings

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 13:16:20 EDT 2004

Hi
Yes, I do agree with Paul.  It is time that most
of the reference related to coral reef science be
made available on the net either through ISRS
website or ReefBase website.  Whenever I visit
Reefbase website and lookout for a reference,
most of the time, the reference that I need is
not in full text form.  Especially the old
references.  It just takes the authors to scan
their papers and send it to ReefBase so that it
can be made available in the database so that
students as well as researchers around the world
have access to the full text references.  Please
remember that there are still many places in the
world where internet is a rare phenomenon and
students do not have access to online journals.
Especially when it comes to ICRS conferences...I
think it is time to make the proceedings
available online.  Take my example, I have all
the abstracts of 9th ICRS with me but not the
full papers as it costs me AU$300, which
definitely I cannot afford.  Some of the
references in the proceedings, I desperately need
but are unavailable.

Please do think about it......
shashank

=====
"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
Kochi University, Faculty of Agriculture
Lab. of AQUa. Environ. Sci. (LAQUES)
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp