[Coral-List] RE: Coral larvae settling in axenic environment

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 21:03:58 EDT 2004

hi all
this may be a bit late....
i think coral larvae attachment is influenced by
chemo and bacterial attractants.
one of the undertgraduate student in our lab is
working on this aspect.  We have isolated
bacterial cultures form various places from our
work area (coral surface, sediment, water etc)
and then we are trying to see which bacterial
biofilm is more influential in helping the larvae
to settle.
There are some interesting results.  For instance
coral larvae do settle in more numbers and faster
in the plate containing  bacterial biofilm of
coral surface isolate.
Still we are in preliminary stage of this aspect.

Cheers
shashank

=====
"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
Kochi University, Faculty of Agriculture
Lab. of AQUa. Environ. Sci. (LAQUES)
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp