[Coral-List] bangladesh Bleaching Event

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 17 11:16:58 EDT 2004

Hello: M Islam,

Check: http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/hotspot_archive/hotspot98.html

Coral Reef Watch was indeed posting information during 1998 (although our program was not operational at that time...only experimental)....check out the July 13th, 1998 HotSpot chart, for example.  We also have posted at this website reports from the field that verified bleaching over parts of the Bay of Bengal....(e.g. Andaman Islands)

Cheers,
Al Strong

m islam wrote:

> Hello all......
>
> I am working in bangladesh...there has been no information  regarding 1998 coral bleaching. But I was observing since 1996. and have seen some bleaching in 1998 and also in last winter. will send  within short time some photo for comments. altough not monitored and evaluated. MarineLife Alliance is trying to monitor and save the remaining coral colonies.
>
> MarineLife Alliance
> Bangladesh
> ================
>
> "Jaap, Walt" <Walt.Jaap at MyFWC.com> wrote:
> We saw a mass bleaching occur in late August- early September in 1983. See Proc. 5th Int. Coral Symp. 143-148. Walt

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Branch Chief, Marine Ecosystem and Climate Branch (MECB)
Coral Reef Watch & CREIOS Project Coordinator
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/SO -- E/RA3  {formerly NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD}
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 601
  5200 Auth Road
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov