[Coral-List] Spring 2005 Coral Reef Research Course

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Fri Aug 20 00:24:49 EDT 2004

Hello All:

We have two openings left in a new course we will be teaching the Spring of 2005. It is a 6 credit semester-long, graduate course where 10 weeks will be spent at CARMABI Marine Laboratory on Curacao (Netherland Antilles) learning to do field research. This graduate course is open to seniors with adequate background coursework (see list of pre-requisites). It will consist of 5 modules taught by diferent faculty, and a 3-week period at the end for students to focus on their individual research projects.  Undergraduates can concurrently enroll in BIO 480 Field Biology for an additional 6 credits to be fully enrolled (12 credits). Diving certification is required. The full  information about the course, the syllabus, the cost structure, as well as the applications forms can be found on my web page [see address in my signature].  Partial scholarships, and special out-of-state tuition rates are available to qualified applicants.  The deadline has been extended to August 30th (on web page states Aug 15th).  Interested students should contact me immediately.

Thank you for your help in directing this information to students that might be interested in this new offering. We are especially interested in attracting minorities and students from the Caribbean.

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
Presently in Field:  371 Bahia Dr, Key Largo FL 33037
Tel & Fax:  (305)453-4792
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta