[Coral-List] Coral Calcium

Ida Fellegara i.fellegara at marine.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 22:24:25 EDT 2004

The fossil corals of Moreton bay, southeast Queensland, have been dredged
between 1937 to 1995

Allingham DP and Neil DT 1995 Z. Geomorph N. F. (39) 3: 273-292

you might be able to get reprints from D Neil (d.neil at uq.edu.au) or I can
send you a photocopy

Ida

At 04:39 PM 8/31/04 -0700, Tiffany Leite wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I've been researching the coral calcium craze online. Most of the
information I've found is from the manufacturers themselves debating the
benefits of fossilized versus marine coral sources.

>I don't approve of any coral collection - fossilized or not - and don't
believe the hype about the health benefits. I'm writing an article opposing
coral calcium presented from the environmental side. Does anyone have any
recent studies or articles to refer me to on the effects of dredging the
"dead" coral underwater and mining the fossilized coral on land? Details
about these processes would be very helpful.

>The coral miners say that their collection process is more environmentally
friendly. Those that dredge for coral underwater argue that their process
contributes to the health of live coral. Although they both are regulated
by law, it seems there are still damaging effects to both methods.