[Coral-List] The last Acropora?

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at reefcheck.org
Fri Dec 3 00:41:47 EST 2004

I would like to ask whether we need to wait until the last Acropora is left
until it is time to declare them endangered? The ESA is an imperfect yet
powerful tool that forces everyone, including scientists, to take special
care in all dealings with listed species. ESA has been used to help prevent
development, pollution and other impacts from affecting listed species.

Yes, politics nearly always trumps science and usually conservation is the
loser. The ESA can be used to bring extra attention to a tragic decline of
an incredibly important reef builder through geologically relevant time. The
listing of Acropora will help to educate the public and government leaders
about the Coral Reef Crisis in general and will highlight the Shifting
Baseline issue. The greatest barrier to reversing the Global Coral Reef
Crisis is ignorance among the general public, and therefore lack of public
support. Not knowing the cause of a species' decline is not a valid reason
for not listing it. Threats due to "disease" are one of many specific
factors used by FWS to determine ESA listing approval.

The FWS is required to develop a "recovery plan" for any species listed.
Perhaps the extra attention will help to free up new resources that will
fund the science needed to answer questions about the cause of this radical
change in Caribbean coral reef ecosystems over the past 25 years. Wouldn't
it be nice if some of the $2.5 billion spent annually implementing the ESA
were spent on protecting Acropora? Filling out a few forms seems a small
price to pay....

For those interested in reading more about the imperfections of the
application of the ESA, I highly recommend the award-winning book by our
colleague:

The Expendable Future: US Politics and the Protection of Biological
Diversity
by Richard Tobin # Paperback: 336 pages
# Publisher: Duke University Press (November 1, 1990)
# ISBN: 0822310716

For info on the ESA process see: http://endangered.fws.gov/whatwedo.html

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Executive Director, Reef Check Foundation
P.O. Box 1057 (mail)
17575 Pacific Coast Highway (Fedex)
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272-1057
Tel: +1-310-230-2371 Fax: +1-310-230-2376
email: gregorh at reefcheck.org
www.ReefCheck.org