[Coral-List] Heliopora Coerulea the Blue Coral found in Fiji

tawake_a at usp.ac.fj tawake_a at usp.ac.fj
Wed Dec 8 17:09:25 EST 2004

Dear Coral list
Very interesting about Heliopora in Fiji. It was my 1985 study which was cited by Di
Walker. (Zann L.P. and Bolton. (1985) The distribution, abundance and ecology of the
blue coral Heliopora coerulea in the Pacific. Coral Reefs. p 123-134.)

Heliopora or blue coral has not been reported live from Fiji before. It is a strange coral,
(only 2 species in entire Order!), and unrelated to the scleractinians (other reef-building
coral). It also has a strange global distribution (the focus of my study). It is very ancient and
its range has contracted in geological time (100 million years) - I suggested because of
competition from the scleractininans, and climate changes (it is a warm water species,
>25o). It is present in Rotuma, common in Tuvalu and abundant in Kiribati. Interestingly,
it did not appear to bleach in 1998, 2000 episodes in Indonesia, so it might be an indicator
of past climate changes.

Its rarity in some places makes it of biodiversity/conservation interest. Where it is rare those
places certainly should be protected. (eg there was a major controversy in Okinawa when a
unique heliopora community was threatened by airport extensions.). I would be interested in
assisting conc=servation measures.
Leon Zann

Professor Leon Zann
Director