[Coral-List] NOAA FISHERIES SEEKS PUBLIC INPUT ON CARIBBEAN CORAL STATUS

Gene Shinn eshinn at usgs.gov
Fri Dec 10 13:36:22 EST 2004

I responded to the question of listing Acropora in the Marine
Pollution Bulletin vol. 49 (2004) p 531-533.
The basic question remains: How can we protect it and what are we
protecting it from? The cause of Acropora demise remains
scientifically unknown. It is presently impossible to explain why
Staghorn coral is thriving off Broward county, Florida (where about 2
million residents live within a mile of the reefs) while at the same
time it is dying in the Marine Sanctuary off the Florida Keys where
there are less than 100,000 residents living more than 3 miles from
Acropora reefs.  Until these questions have been answered this seems
a needless waste of tax payers money that will lead to numerous legal
challenges that could seriously disrupt the US economy and tie up
courts for years. E. A. Shinn
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/african_dust/  		                       |
email  eshinn at usgs.gov
USGS Center for Coastal Geology     |
600 4th St. South                   | voice  (727) 803-8747 x3030
St.Petersburg, FL  33701            | fax    (727) 803-2032