[Coral-List] Re: coral nomenclature

Judith Lang/Lynton Land JandL at rivnet.net
Mon Feb 2 17:02:13 EST 2004

Dear Vladimir,
No one doubts that the taxonomy of many groups, including
scleractinians is challenging, and our collective understanding varies
greatly over time. Airing differences of opinion and interpretation,
sometimes based on different field experiences, is good.
This is because, in addition to the intra-colony and inter-colony
variability described below that occur at any given locality, some
genera show considerable biogeographic variation for a number of traits
around the Western Atlantic.

However, implying that in the Atlantic  controversial species names are
all based on publications in the popular literature or personal
opinions, and therefore invalid, is simply not correct. Our colleagues
commonly publish their taxonomic interpretations in refereed journals
like Bulletins of American Paleontology, Bulletin of Marine Science,
Courier Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg,  Journal of Paleontology,
Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington and Smithsonian
Contributions to Zoology.

My long-held opinion is that if we can make a distinction, we should,
because later on we can always merge files that are distinct; but we
can never split them if they are merged from the start. For your
monitoring purposes, I can image that it doesn't matter if columnar,
small-polyped colonies of Montastraea are called just that, or M.
annularis f. annularis, or M. annularis (sensu Weil and Knowlton,
1994). And if, for example, they are transitional between columns and
tiny plates evocative of M. franksi, they can also be scored to record
this information. In other words, regardless of what you think of their
specific status, you don't have to try to force all your colonies into
one of the described three morphs.

Best wishes,
Judy