[Coral-List] siltation and coral reefs

Iain Macdonald I.Macdonald at mmu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 12:15:15 EST 2004

Dear List,

I provided a siltation reference list (48 references) to a Phil Pepe
who then contacted somebody to have it posted on the noaa web
site. (This can found by typing "siltation and coral" in to google).
This was back in 2000, and since i have enlarge my literature
concerning the effects of "sedimentation" on coral reefs. Below you
can find a list of references that are not in the list mentioned earlier
for the Caribbean and this seems to be were Beatriz Martínez-
Daranas is probably interested in.

I would advise all who are interested in the topic of turbid / high
sediment reefs to be advised that this is not a simple issue. There
is not a simple "sedimentation" rate whereby "this" coral species
dies and "that" species survives. Although Rogers (1990) excellent
review paper has been cited as referring to a 10 mg/cm2/d as a
threshold for coral survival there is a lot of evidence from the Indo-
Pacific region of corals tolerating "sedimentation" levels more than
10x this figure.

The usage of the term "sedimentation" has been too vague in the
past. We need to appreciate that sediment-related stress originate
from a variety of interactions that may include actual sediment
being deposited, to sediment being eroded, to a turbid environment
that experiences next to no “sedimentation”. Studies from these
various stress are needed to differentiate the potential impacts
instead of assuming that sediment is deleterious to coral reefs and
to gain a more in depth understanding of what processes are
inhibited / promoted. I would also recommend that any people
interested in the literature cited here to investigate the “geological”
literature. This has a significant role for our understanding of the
consequences of turbid / high sediment environments yet remains
largely uncited by biologists/ecologists

There are also some papers in press / under review. For example,
the effects of the Rio Beuno River, north Jamaica on local coral
communities by my colleagues Jennie Mallela and Chris Perry.
Anybody who has a paper under review / in press I would
appreciate more details of these, please send them to me directly
(I.Macdonald at mmu.ac.uk) or the list.

This Reference list is not complete and those on the web site
below are not included

http://www.coral.noaa.gov/bib/coral_siltation_references.html

All editing errors, page number irregularities etc. are mine!

Abdel-Salam, H. A., Porter, J.W. (1988). "Physiological effects of
sediment rejection on photosynthesis and respiration in three
Caribbean reef corals." Proceedings of the Sixth International Coral
Reef Symposium, Townsville, Australia, 8-12th August 1988 2: 285-
292.

Acevedo, R., Morelock, J., Olivieri, R.A. (1989). "Modification of
coral reef zonations by terrigenous sediment stress." Palaios 4: 92-
100.

Bak, R. P. M., Meesters, E.H. (2002). Acclimatization/adaptation
of coral reefs in a marginal environment. Proceedings of the 9th
International Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, Indonesia.265-271

Bastidas, C., Garcia, E. (1999). "Metal content on the reef coral
Porites astreoides: an evaluation of river influence and 35 years of
Chronology." Marine Pollution Bulletin 38(10): 899-907.

Birkeland, C. (1977). The importance of rate biomass accumulation
in early successional stages of benthic communities to the survival
of coral recruits. Proceedings of the Third International Coral Reef
Symposium, Miami.15-21

Gerrodette, T. and Flechsig, A. O. (1979). "Sediment-induced
reduction in the pumping rate of the tropical sponge Verongia
lacunosa." Marine Biology 55: 103-110.

Hands, M. R., French, J.R., O'Neil, A.O. (1993). "Reef Stress at
Cahuita Point, Costa Rica: Anthropogenically enhanced sediment
influx of natural geomorphic change?" Journal of Coastal Research
9(1): 11-25.

Hubbard, J. A. E. B. (1973). Sediment-shifting experiments: a
guide to functional behavior in colonial corals. Animal colonies;
their development and function through time. Boardman, R. S.,
Cheetham, A. H. and Oliver, W. A. J. (eds.) Dowden, Hutchinson
and Ross, Stroudsburg : 31-42.

Hubbard, D. K. (1986). "Sedimentation as a control of reef
development: St.Croix, U.S.V.I." Coral Reefs 5: 117-125.

Hunte, W., Wittenberg, M. (1992). "Effects of eutrophication and
sedimentation on juvenile corals. II. Settlement." Marine Biology
114: 625-631.

Kelmo, F., Attril, M. J. and Jones, M. B. (2003). "Effects of the
1997-1998 El Nino on the cnidarian community of a high turbidity
coral reef system (northen Bahia, Brazil)." Coral Reefs 22(4): 541-
550.

Lasker, H. R. (1980). "Sediment rejection by reef corals: the roles
of behavior and morphology in Montastrea cavernosa (Linnaeus)."
Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 47: 77-87.

Leão de Moura, R., Martins Rodrigues, M.C., Francini-Filho, R.B.,
Sazima, I. (1999). "Unexpected richness of reef corals near the
southern Amazon River mouth." Coral Reefs 18: 170.

Macdonald, I. A. (2003). "Reef growth and framework preservation
in a turbid lagoon environment, Discovery Bay, north Jamaica."
Manchester Metropolitan University PhD Thesis: 254p.

Macdonald, I. A. and Perry, C. T. (2003). "Biological degradation of
coral framework in a turbid lagoon environment, Discovery Bay,
north Jamaica." Coral Reefs 22: 523-535.

Meesters, E. H., Bak, R.P.M., Wsetmacott, S., Ridgley, M.,
Dollar, S. (1997). "A fuzzy logic model to predict coral reef
development under nutrient and sediment stress." Conservation
Biology 12(5): 957-965.

Meesters, E. H., Bos, A., Gast, G.J. (1992). Effects of
sedimentation and lesion position on coral tissue regeneration.
Proceedings of the Seventh International Coral Reef Symposium,
Guam.671-678

Miller, R. L., Cruise, J.F. (1995). "Effects of suspended sediment
on coral growth - evidence from remote sensing and hydrologic
modelling." Remote Sensing of the Environment 53(3): 117-187.

Nugues, M. M. and Roberts, C. M. (2003). "Partial mortality in
massive reef corals as an indicator of sediment stress on coral
reefs." Marine Pollution Bulletin 46(3): 314-323.

Nugues, M. M. and Roberts, C. M. (2003). "Coral mortality and
interaction with algae in relation to sedimentation." Coral Reefs
22(4): 507-516.

Perry, C. T., Macdonald I.A. (2002). "Impacts of light penetration
on the bathymetry of reef microboring communities: implications for
the development of microendolithic trace assemblages."
Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology 186(1-2): 101-
113.

Roberts, H. H., Murray, S.P. (1983). "Controls on reef development
and the terrigenous-carbonate interface on a shallow shelf,
Nicaragua (Central America)." Coral Reefs 2: 71-80.

Roberts, H. H. (1987). "Modern Carbonate Siliciclastic Transitions -
Humid and Arid Tropical Examples." Sedimentary Geology 50(1-3):
25-65.

Rosenfeld, M., Bresler, V., Abelson, A (1999). "Sediment as a
possible food source for corals." Ecology Letters 2(6): 345-348.

Ross, P., DeLorenzo, M.E. (1997). "Sediment contamination
problems in the Caribbean Islands: research and regulation."
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 16(1): 52-58.

Torres, J. L. (1998) Effects of sediment influx on the growth rates of
Montastrea annularis (Ellis and Solander) in southwest, Puerto
Rico MSc Marine Sciences Universtiy of Puerto Rico

Torres, J. L. (2001). "Impacts of sedimentation on the growth rates
of Montastraea annularis in southwest Puerto Rico." Bulletin of
Marine Science 69(2): 631-637.

Torres, J. L. and Morelock, J. (2002). "Effect of terrigenous
sediment influx on coral cover and linear extension rates of three
Caribbean massive coral species." Caribbean Journal of Science
38(3-4): 222-229.

Torres, R., Chiappone, M., Geraldes, F., Rodriguez, Y. and Vega,
M. (2001). "Sedimentation as an important environmental influence
on Dominican Republic reefs." Bulletin of Marine Science 69(2):
805-818.

Turk, T. R. and Risk, M. J. (1981). "Effects of sedimentation on
infaunal invertebrate populations of Cobequid Bay, Bay of Fundy."
Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38(6): 624-648.

Wittenberg, M., Hunte, W. (1992). "Effects of eutrophication and
sedimentation on juvenile corals. I. Abundance, mortality and
community structure." Marine Biology 112: 131-138.

Woolfe, K. J., Larcombe, P. (1999). "Terrigenous sedimentation
and coral reef growth: a conceptual framework." Marine Geology
155: 331-345.

Room E402 John Dalton Extension Building,
Department of Environmental and Geographical Science,
Manchester Metropolitan University,
Chester Street,
Manchester,
M1 5GD