[Coral-List] Porites astreoides microsatellites

tlsnell at buffalo.edu tlsnell at buffalo.edu
Wed Jan 7 13:33:04 EST 2004

Dear colleagues,
I have isolated three variable microsatellite loci from Porites
astreoides in an effort to study the population structure of this
species.  Unfortunately, with only three loci (with little genetic
diversity relative to other coral species), there is not adequate
information to complete the analyses in an appropriate manner.

I am interested in others that have been or are currently looking
into developing microsatellites for this species and would like to
collaborate through exchange of P. astreoides-specific
microsatellite primers.  Since more than 50% of the candidate
microsatellite loci isolated from adult P. astreoides tissue were
zooxanthellae-specific in my experience, I would also be willing to
test potential P. astreoides microsatellites against a variety of
cultured zooxanthellae I have available to me, in order to ensure
coral-specificity.

Thanks for your time,

Tonya (Snell) Shearer

tlsnell at buffalo.edu