[Coral-List] coral nomenclature

Judith Lang/Lynton Land JandL at rivnet.net
Mon Jan 26 17:11:45 EST 2004

Hi Rich,
Well, more accurate to say that michelinii is the form in which the
polyps are plocoid (have separate walls).
  The walls of the intersepta form are subcerioid (adjacent polyps are
almost united) and, in life, have fewer zooxanthellae (or perhaps less
pigment/algal cell) than the central area of the polyp, which means the
corals have a "reticulated" appearance which is particularly striking
when they contract.
Best,
Judy